4-Year M.D. Program
American University of St. Vincent School of Medicine is on a trimester system (three semesters per year) for the Four-Year M.D. Program with intakes in September, January, and May (see the academic calendar for specific dates). Students may apply for admission to the program at any time throughout the year. Students are encouraged to submit their application as early as possible.
The 4-Year MD program can be completed in 3 years and 4 months. Admission into the 4-year program requires a Bachelor Degree or completion of at least two years of post secondary education, which must include successful completion of premedical admission requirements such as:
- Biology – 90 semester hours
- Chemistry – 90 semester hours
- Physics – 90 semester hours
- One year of Mathematics or Calculus, English and Humanities or Liberal Arts.
The 4-year MD degree program comprises 5 semesters of instruction in Basic Medical Sciences in Dominica followed by 72 weeks of clinical clerkships.
- Application for Admission
- One-Page Personal Statement
- One Letter of Recommendation
- All Undergraduate Transcripts
- $75 Application Fee
- Passport Photo
Within one week of a completed application file, including all necessary documents is received; an admissions counselor will schedule an interview to be done either over the telephone or personally at our campus in St Vincent. Applicants are advised that being granted an interview is not a guarantee of acceptance.
- Intellectual and academic ability
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of the medical field
- Hobbies, special talents, volunteer experience
- Personal qualities, character and motivation
- Willingness to be a team player
- Compassion, empathy and ability to deal with everyday issues
- The interview also allows the student to ask pertinent questions and to introduce any special circumstances that should be considered.
Following the Admissions Committee interview, the student will be notified of their admission status within one week. After receipt of the acceptance letter, the student is required to acknowledge their intention by returning the acceptance response form included with their acceptance letter, as well as mail the seat deposit fee to our Admissions Office within one week or by the deadline stated in the acceptance letter. This deposit will be credited towards the first-semester tuition fees when the student matriculates. The deposit will not be refunded if the student rescinds his or her acceptance
The Fall Semester Is Upcoming